The LEDC has adopted the following goals for each of its committees.
Overall Objective: Market the LEDC and the unique characteristics and assets of Lansdowne to businesses, residents, and visitors, etc.
A-1: Promote the LEDC and Lansdowne online and in print
- through social media
- through website updates
- through print media
- establish brand standards
A-2: Coordinate/Conduct the LEDC Annual Meeting
A-3: Provide marketing assistance to new and existing businesses
- press releases for businesses
- website listings
- cooperative advertising
- cross-retail promotions
- sidewalk sales, coupon programs, etc.
A-4: Press releases for LEDC activities and events
A-5: Organize pop-up events (partner with Business Development Committee)
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE:
Overall Objective: Promote economic development that is diverse and strong in Lansdowne by encouraging new businesses and providing services to existing businesses.
B-1: Fill vacant storefronts (ongoing)
- Conduct Trade Area Studies and have statistical data available for potential businesses
- Create/Maintain Property Inventory of vacant and available spaces
- Prepare/Update Retail Recruitment Guide
- Prepare Business Recruitment Strategy
- Organize events to highlight and fill vacant spaces (pop-ups)
B-2: Develop a healthy mix of businesses by increasing the number and diversity of businesses
- Some focus on arts-based businesses, entertainment-related, businesses with evening and late-night hours
- Some focus on businesses that are “green,” health, good for the environment
B-3: Help entrepreneurs who want to open new businesses esp. those that are minority, women, veterans, and/or low/moderate-income
B-4: Provide assistance to existing businesses
- loan and grant information
- Maintain database of existing businesses and owner information
- Organize business-based events (First Fridays, Small Business Saturday, etc.)
- Advertising co-ops
- Power buying strategies (collective purchases)
- Assistance with zoning, HARB reviews, etc.
B-5: Partner with LBPA on various events
B-6: Work with Marketing Committee on revenue-generating activities for the LEDC that involve businesses
- Including co-ops, incubators, public meeting space for rent, etc.
B-7: Partner with local hospital on Healthy Community Initiatives in the downtown
- Walking tours
- Heart-healthy menu options at local restaurants
B-8: Partner with Historic Lansdowne Theater to help bring about their renovation and re-opening
B-9: Research and disseminate information on liquor license/change to a “wet” town: implications, procedures, etc.
Overall Objective: Promote Lansdowne to residents and visitors from surrounding areas and raise funds for the LEDC through events.
C-1: Organize special events for residents and visitors from surrounding areas, including:
- 5K Race
- Lansdowne Farmers Markets
- Lansdowne Arts & Music Festival
- Arts & Craft Show (May)
- A Bit of the Arts (Holiday Arts Show)
- Celebration Theater
Overall Objective: Create an appealing downtown shopping atmosphere that encourages pedestrian traffic and preserves historic architecture.
D-1: Implement an effective façade program again and promote the accompanying Design Guidelines
- Survey physical condition of buildings to determine priorities
- Contact local businesses to determine interest and commitment
- Apply to DCED for funding
- Implement program
- Upload Design Guidelines to website
- Print additional hard copies for distribution to approved façade applicants
D-2: Work with the Borough and other organizations to provide streetscape improvements
- Review WalkShed study
- Prioritize action items
D-3: Help businesses through the HARB review process
ELM STREET/NAC COMMITTEE:
Overall Objective: Implement the Elm Street Plan, provide services for residents, and encourage people to move to the Lansdowne/Yeadon area.
E-1: Continue the residential façade program
E-2: Get more volunteers and coordinate volunteer activities
E-3: Partner with local hospital on Healthy Community Initiatives in the neighborhoods
E-4: Promote Lansdowne/Yeadon as a great place to move
E-5: Welcome new residents
Overall Objective: Maintain positive operational cash flow that is sustainable and diverse, including generating revenue that will help reduce LEDC’s dependence on grants and government funds.
F-1: Develop and implement a comprehensive fundraising plan
- Prepare annual fundraising campaign for private and corporate support
- Research and suggest grant and foundation opportunities
F-2: Secure sustainable financial resources for the LEDC
- Research similar organizations for funding ideas
- Work with Bus Dev’t Committee to research and suggest private revenue-generating activities and ventures, such as co-ops and business incubators
Overall Objective: Build a diverse, strong and financially sustainable organization that builds consensus and cooperation among all of the stakeholders.
G-1: Build a more diverse, strong Board of Directors
- Assess membership in terms of demographics, occupations, non-profit experience, skills and interests. Evaluate gaps. Solicit membership/nominees to fill gaps.
G-2: Ensure the LEDC’s administrative compliance with funders, IRS, and government entities; administer grants, maintain 501(c) (3) status, and establish financial measures.
G-3: Review policies and procedures on an annual basis.
G-4: Keep current PANO and PA Downtown Center memberships and for regular training and updates.
G-5: Completion of annual fiscal audits, appropriate filing of 1099, BCO, etc., timely submission of reports to funders.
G-6: Partner with Borough Council, County Council, local businesses and other local non-profits.